This is just a quick little tutorial which walks you through the steps to install telnet in Windows Vista as its not there by default.
It was written to accompany another upcoming tutorial I am working on but if you just landed here from a search engine then I guess its just as handy!
Is telnet already installed?
Before you follow this you better check you haven't already installed it and forgotten!
- Press Start Key on the keyboard and the R key together
- Type telnet into the run dialog
- Press enter
If you see a message that says "Windows cannot find 'telnet'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." with an OK button then press OK and carry on with this tutorial.
- Click the Start orb
- Choose Control Panel
- In the top right corner search box type "feature"
- Click the link that says "Turn Windows features on or off"
- Wait a short while for Windows to figure out which features you already have turned on
- Scroll down to the entry "Telnet Client"
- Tick the checkbox
- Click OK
- Wait another short while
- When its done you can close the control panel.